Tuesday 10 July 2012

Cheers, Lucksmiths

I had always suspected that there was at least one reference in the Lucksmiths' Requiem to the Punter's Club that I hadn't yet gleaned. The other day I happened to hear the Cheers theme song,

Sometimes you want to go
Where everybody knows your name,
And they're always glad you came;
You want to be where you can see,
Our troubles are all the same;
You want to be where everybody knows your name.

For those unfortunates who don't know the Lucksmiths' refrain,

So act surprised
It's been a while since I came calling
I know it's late
But old times' sake and all that junk
I'll be alright
We'll make tonight tomorrow morning
Sometimes you want to go
Where everybody knows you're drunk
Years after they called it quits, I get so much pleasure out of their music.

No comments: