Wednesday 26 March 2008

when too much sport...

Its becoming apparent that every post here is about sport. That's probably a reasonably fair gauge of my priorities thus far this year.

Volleyball continues to get better. Individually and as a team, we seem to get better each time we play, and we're on top of the table in our (admittedly lowly) division. My initial qualms have been completely assuaged.

Tennis fixtures started last week. To my surprise, I discovered upon receipt of the team lists that I was a captain. The first game went OK - I played well, although I lost my singles 6-4. As a team, though, we were routed 3 sets to zip and 18 games to just 5, as my teammate struggled mightily. I'm sitting out this week (tonight), so I'll see how the others go.

In terms of cycling, next week is Bike Week, including a couple of race-type events on Saturday. I'm still tossing up whether to enter the 70km Coot-tha ride or the 35km ride, but I'm leaning towards the latter, since I haven't been up Coot-tha yet and thus don't know how I'd go.

The weekend was also pretty sport-laden. For the first time since 2004, all 5 Steels (lots of blogs between us these days) were assembled, and we were joined by Steven, Andrew and Granny down at Mullum. In between home brew, Australian red and German desert wine, we managed to squeeze tennis, golf, and swimming both in the pool and at Brunswick Heads. I shot a slightly disappointing 49 on the front 9 at Mullum, but beat Dad by a shot.

1 comment:

Emily said...

Dry wines from the German desert? Rheinhessen special stuff.

My tip: save your legs and go the 35km