Tuesday 30 November 2004

brass monkeys

Hot damn, but it was cold this morning on the bike. Visibility was very low because of the fog, and I rugged up my gloves and a beanie under my helmet. I pulled on the brakes a little fast at one point and the back wheel went all over the place, silently. I suspect it may have been ice. Pulling up at a red light, there were ice crystals forming on the knuckles of my gloves. The weather observations said 0, but it wouldn't surprise me if it was even a degree or two below that.

In other news, I finished of Smilla's Sense of Snow the other day. I saw the movie so long ago I can hardly remember it, except that it was beautiful; anyway, the plot points remained unspoiled for me this time around. I looked up some reviews yesterday and they all seemed to complain about the lack of resolution, but I thought it was a good thing, and in general couldn't really complain about the story at all. The characters were interesting and believable, the setting was, for me, novel, and the pseudo-science was convincing enough that I couldn't identify it as such, if it even was.

Having finished that one, I moved onto Pirsig's Lila. I've been waiting a long time to read this, and now finding myself trying hard to refrain from judging it until I've completed it. Pirsig is a hard read, as I learnt with Zen & The Art, and seems more defensively forceful and less introspective than in the past. I'm about a third of the way through, anyway, and hopefully it'll clear up.

No comments: