Friday 4 June 2004

Honestly, what a beat-up. Via Tim Blair, it seems that Play School dropped a same-sex-parent family into one of its story sessions:

"I'm Brenna. That's me in the blue. My mums are taking me and my friend Meryn to an amusement park," the little girl says over images of her two mums smiling and waving.


Anyway, a bunch of conservative politicians had a bit of a whinge to the press.

That so few words can result in such a kerfuffle, if I may use that term (I'm sure Jesse would approve), speaks volumes for both the absurd sensitivity of the critics involved, but more importantly for the ubiquity of Play School in the children's television sphere. I certainly grew up on it, and if I was raising kids in Australia, they would too, I suspect. Whether their stories have 1 mum, 2 mums, or 93 mums (lets not rule out communes, here).

I suspect that the kids watching probably hadn't noticed at all, but are more likely to when its on the front page tomorrow (or today, I guess). Not that there's anything wrong with that.

No comments: